Getting more of the people who come to your site to buy , or join your list, or download something is called conversions. It doesn’t mean you have to join a new religion but it is something we can all learn to do better.
You want your visitors to get a few messages clearly and right away; Above the fold so they don’t have to scroll down to see all this:
• Who you are, your company name or blog name and logo.
• Why you are cool; why they should listen to you; why they should choose you: like, Over 3 Billion Served, or 10 years serving happy customers, or Our Many Reviews
• Why We Are Better: Your USP (Unique Selling Proposition). A benefit only you can provide.
• The 1st Step: What do they do to start falling into your sales funnel? Download a free report? Answer a Poll? Spell it out.
• Show them how they can buy right now. This is especially important for the returning visitors who have come back to buy, they do not want to be run around or have to search to find what they want.
Questions to ask your website:
• Is it confusing to follow and find places?
• Are there a lot of distractions?
• Are there too many ads going to other websites?
• Do the colors and layout create tension?
• If you have a shopping cart, is it easy to use and work in all browsers?
• If they want to contact key company people or customer service is that clearly visible and easy to find or do people have to search around?
• If you have forms, are they asking too many questions or difficult to fill out?
• Are user instructions available and connected to tasks?
One very important part of SEO that will lead directly to sales is taking a second look at your Title Tags and your Descriptions Tags. This is the information shown in the search engines. First of all I hope you are using well researched keywords in your Title and Description, but, do the “Sell The Click”? Is what people see in the search results result pages (SERPS) grabbing their interest and enticing them to click the golden link that takes them to your wonderful website? Do the words speak to the needs and wants and desires reflected in that search phrase you showed up for?
Of course it is crucial that page is relevant to what that person is looking for not only for the visitor but for SEO because they are analyzing for relevancy as must as possible.
Making your site easier to read and making the navigation easier to follow can give you a quick boost in conversions.